Photo by Jeff Evans
Gold Medal Manager
Kristin Parsons, RN, MSN
Title: Nurse manager
Department: E3/PCU and dialysis at Backus Hospital
My job is: support my staff so they can continue to provide wonderful care to our patients.
High School: Stonington High School
Degree (s) from (college/university): Bachelor of Science in Nursing, University of Rhode Island; and a Master’s of Science in Nursing, with a specialty in executive nursing, Chamberlain College of Nursing, Chicago
Major and why: I went into nursing to be able to always help others.
Home (is where the heart is): Wherever my family and I are together.
Which of the 10 H3W Leadership Behaviors would you like to get better at this year and why? I think there are always ways to continue improving. I would like to make sure I am spending at
- What did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to be a veterinarian and an astronaut as a child.
- How did you end up doing what your do now? I became a nursing assistant in high school and fell in love with working with patients. With good mentors, I was guided into nursing.
- Words to live by: Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s learning how to dance in the rain.
- A successful day at work is when: I am able to remove barriers for the staff and ensure they have what they need. Also, when I’m able to help and watch staff grow in their experience and confidence. I know they can do it, and watching them succeed is proof.
- What is your favorite lunch? Pizza!
- What is your best achievement? Being the only person in my family to attend college, and attain multiple degrees. Tied for best achievement would be creating a family with my husband, Josh, and two boys, eight-year-old Bowyn and five-year-old Wesley.
- What do you do for fun? I love hiking, camping, gardening and fishing while hanging out with the family.
- What makes you angry? Dishonesty
- What’s your motto? Always look to find a positive in every situation, even in the worst situations.
- What is the first thing you do when you wake up/start your day? I check my email!
- Major and why: I went into nursing to be able to always help others.
- Home is: Wherever my family and I are together.
- Which of the 10 H3W Leadership Behaviors would you like to get better at this year and why? I think there are always ways to continue improving. I would like to make sure I am spending at least half my time helping to develop others (Behavior 10).